North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has been briefed on the military’s plan for missile strikes near the U.S. territory of Guam, home to key American air and naval bases, Pyongyang’s state media, Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said Tuesday.
The North’s leader “examined the plan for a long time” on Monday during his inspection to the command of the Strategic Force, according to the state media.
North Korea said last week that it will finalize by mid-August its detailed plan to fire four intermediate-range ballistic missiles around Guam and report it to its leader for approval.
Kim said he would “watch a little more” Washington’s behaviour, but it will make an “important” decision as it already declared if the U.S. continues its “extremely dangerous reckless actions” on the divided Korean Peninsula, the report said.
The warning came after Gen. Joseph Dunford, the chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, said in Seoul that military options would come only after sanctions fail.
But the general made it clear that the U.S. is ready to take a “decisive” military response to Pyongyang’s possible missile strikes near Guam.
U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis also warned Monday that the U.S. will go to war with the North if it fires missiles at Guam.
Tensions rose amid a flurry of exchanges of bellicose rhetoric between the North and the U.S. after Pyongyang launched two intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) in July. The U.N. Security Council adopted a fresh U.S.-led sanctions resolution on the North in early August.
President Donald Trump said that the North will meet “fire and fury” should it continue to threaten the U.S. He also warned that military solutions are “in place, locked and loaded” for implementation.
There are concerns here that any miscalculation may trigger an armed conflict on the Korean Peninsula. But key U.S. officials dismissed the possibility of an imminent war with North Korea.
Source: Yonhap News Agency