Naval Group has released expressions of interest (EOI) and requests for information (RFI) to the Australian industry to get involved in Australia’s Future Submarine program, Christopher Pyne, Minister for Defence Industry, announced on Dec. 14.
Minister Pyne said that the Naval Group was seeking Australian industry ‘know how’ as the $50 billion Future Submarine Program continued to gather momentum.
“The Turnbull Government is committed to a sovereign naval shipbuilding capability and this includes 12 regionally superior submarines for our Navy,” Minister Pyne said. “These submarines will be built in Australia, by Australians, which will maximise local industry involvement in all phases of the Program.”
So far around 130 companies have been pre-qualified by Naval Group to be part of the Program.
“Naval Group continues to support the Turnbull Government in this endeavour and is looking to Australian industry to manufacture and supply critical equipment and other common technologies for the submarines.”
“Opportunities exist for Australian industry to provide everything from electrical, mechanical, heating and air conditioning equipment, to castings, steel and titanium products. This is part of a wider suite of activities aimed at collecting information on industry’s capability to supply products and technologies required to manufacture and sustain the Future Submarines in Australia.”
These are the first major equipment information requests released by Naval Group, with more scheduled for release progressively throughout 2018, and complemented by the continuation of industry briefing days.
“Australian industry involvement in the Future Submarine Program is expected to generate an annual average of around 2,800 jobs over the life of the Program,” Minister Pyne added.
The deadline for interested companies is 5 January 2018.
Companies which would like to know more about the Program or respond to Naval Group’s request can visit the Future Submarine Industry Capability Network Gateway: https://gateway.icn.org.au/project/3915/naval-group-future-submarine
Future Submarine Program (SEA 1000)
Future Submarine Program (SEA 1000), also called the Collins-class submarine replacement project, is a program undertaken by Royal Australian Navy (RAN) to replace its fleet of Collins-class conventionally-powered attack submarines.
In December last year, Australia and France formally sealed a $50 billion agreement under which French naval contractor Naval Group will build a new fleet of diesel-electric submarines based on its nuclear Barracuda-class. The variant was named Shortfin Barracuda Block 1A.
According to the Royal Australian Navy the Shortfin Barracuda will displace 4,500 tons (surfaced), measure 97 metres in length, have an 8.8-metre beam, utilise pump-jet propulsion, have a range of 18,000 nautical miles, a top speed of greater than 20 knots, an endurance of 80 days and a crew of 60.
The construction of the 12 submarines will be done at ASC shipyard in Osborne, Adelaide, South Australia. The massive assembly hall to be constructed allows for one submarine on the finishing line and another on the assembly line. The workforce of 2800 people will be needed for the construction.
The construction is expected to begin in 2021-22 and will extend into the late 2040s. The first submarine is likely to enter service in the early 2030s.