Navistar Defense was awarded a Foreign Military Sales (FMS) contract, worth around $11.4 million, to supply 4×4 and 6×6 military trucks to Iraq.
The contract includes general transport trucks, and recovery vehicles, along with spare parts. Bids were solicited via the internet with five received. The U.S. Army Contracting Command (ACC) at Detroit Arsenal (DTA), Michigan, is the contracting activity (W56HZV-20-F-0206).
Work will be performed in Springfield, Ohio; and Ooltewah, Tennessee, with an estimated completion date of Feb. 28, 2021.
The statement from the U.S. Department of Defence (DoD) announcing the contract award didn’t specify the model of the trucks being supplied to the Middle Eastern country.
Navistar Defense currently manufactures five families of military vehicles:
• International 7000-MV 6×6 truck family – includes general transport truck (GTT), recovery, tanker and man cab variants.
• International MaxxPro 4×4/6×6 vehicle family – includes Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP), recovery and tractor variants, primarily 4×4 vehicles but also includes a 6×6 flat-bed variant based on 7000-series platform.
• Navistar International MXT-MV 4×4 vehicle family – includes tactical vehicle, APC and cargo variants
• International Special Operations Tactical Vehicle (SOTV) 4×4 vehicle
• International 5000-MV tractor trucks
In September 2017, Navistar Defense, LLC was awarded a $18.8 million FMS contract by the U.S. Army to provide 115 International 7000-MV Medium Tactical Vehicles (MTV) to Iraq. Navistar Defense MTVs are based on the highly multipurpose International WorkStar severe-duty platform designed for both off and on-road operation and is the backbone for the company’s MaxxPro MRAP vehicle.
The company was awarded multiple contracts for the supply of trucks to Iraq since 2017. A contract similar to the current contract was awarded in 2018. This FMS contract, worth around $22 million, called for the supply of 4×4 and 6×6 trucks to Iraq.
Since 2004, Navistar Defense has delivered more than 7,000 trucks and buses to Iraq through foreign military sales contracts. This equipment is being used by Iraqi security forces in the Ministry of Interior and Ministry of Defense. Navistar Defense’s dealer in Iraq, Hama, provides parts and service support to Navistar vehicles in Iraq and the region.
In total, the company has delivered a total of more than 30,000 vehicles to U.S. allies since 2003 through FMS sales.